The Prouty Times

• January 12Congrats Lady Panthers on your 48-46 win against Uxbridge!

• January 3Congratulations to Boys' Basketball on their 62-35 win vs. North Brookfield

QCC Fab Lab Experience

Kenneth Feyjoo, Editor

On our school field trip to Quinsigamond Community College, QCC’s President spoke to us about our future and his words resonated with the participants. The owner of JNC Custom Drums also made an appearance and spoke to our school about how important and exciting manufacturing has become in the recent past. He also emphasized the need for manufacturing in our current economy. We got to tour the new, technologically advanced building the QuEST Center. The QuEST Center is its new Engineering, Science and Technology building that opened in January 2016 on the main campus in Worcester. In this new building, they created the Fab Lab.
Fab Labs are an international group that house equipment run on interconnected, open-source software. The Fab Lab, is a model and a philosophy for digital fabrication laboratories. Neil Gershenfeld, a professor at MIT’s Center for Bits and Atoms created the idea for this international group. The idea caught on, and now there are 500 Fab Labs in 30 countries around the world. Of the seven Massachusetts Fab Labs, the QCC Fab lab is the only one located outside Greater Boston, according to a press release from QCC.

The Fab Lab at QCC is a place for innovation, creativity, and learning. Fab Lab provides fabrication tools and community support to all students, staff, and faculty. Their goals are to support innovative and entrepreneurial thinking, and generate interest in STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics, previously METS) technologies as well as supporting an artistic and creative passion. During our tour we encountered KARL STORZ. the leading endoscope manufacturer. The company offers systems for human and veterinary medicine as well as for industrial applications. Endoscopes, instruments, devices, and camera systems from KARL STORZ have been in production for more than 70 years. The students at DPHS left knowing how important manufacturing is in our modern world and what manufacturing opportunities exist at QCC.