The Prouty Times

• January 22Interested in Baseball? Sign up in room 304!

• January 12Congrats Lady Panthers on your 48-46 win against Uxbridge!

• January 3The Rebekah Assembly of Massachusetts Independent Order of Odd Fellows Memorial Scholarship application is now available in Guidance.

Boys’ Soccer Clinches First Playoff

Tristan Colonese, Editor

The David Prouty Boys’ Soccer Team clinched their first Division 4 Playoff Seed win since 2013 against SWCL Rival Quabog. In 2013, although the Boys’ Soccer Team saw the playoffs, they lost the first game and were not able to carry on.

This is a big accomplishment for the Prouty Boys’ Team, who haven’t had more than three to four wins in a season since the 2013. This is also a shock to most of the players on the team because originally, they didn’t think they had made it.

Senior Captain, Sage Maryyanek, who led the team in scoring and points this season with 17 goals and 24 points, was asked why this came to him and the team as a “shocker”. His reply, “We were out! We thought we needed 9 wins to make districts and the loss to Leicester was one that we couldn’t afford and ultimately knocked us out of a spot.” But, after the 3-1 win over Quabog, the opposing coach congratulated Prouty for making it to districts.

Maryyanek and the boys’ coach decided to do some research and learned that the boys had clinched a playoff in Division 4, not Division 3, which was the Division the boys believed they had played in all season. “It was certainly a surprise but, I’m happy.” said Sage, “We played all season against good Division 1-3 teams, so, we thought we were in Division 3.”

Maryyanek decided to look more into this sudden and exciting change and discovered that last year the Prouty Boys’ and Girls’ Teams had been moved down a division. Maryyanek believes that since the school’s population had gone down, so had their sports’ divisions.

But Maryyanek and the team couldn’t be happier with the outcome, “This to me is like a dream come true, we (the team) worked so hard the past year to become better and compete with teams that have blown us out in the past.”

The boys’ first district game will be held at Prouty on 11/3. The game will be at 3:00 p.m. and the boys will be playing Douglas, who holds the #9 spot in SWCL.