The Prouty Times

• January 12Congrats Lady Panthers on your 48-46 win against Uxbridge!

• January 3Congratulations to Boys' Basketball on their 62-35 win vs. North Brookfield

College Credits at Prouty

Lauren Tagman, Editor

Quinsigamond Community College is offering a free College Level English 101 course after school at David Prouty. This course will run from January 18th through May 10th. The course and the books are given to students for free. You need to have taken the Accuplacer Exam to be eligible for this course. Also a student must have taken the essay, reading, and sentence portion of the Accuplacer Exam and passed with a 6-8, 68-120, and a 65-120, relatively.

If a student does not pass Accuplacer, they will need to take English 091 and pass with a C or higher and English 096 with a C or higher, in order to take English 101 in college. In English 101 students write a minimum of four essays, in multiple drafts, in addition to shorter writing assignments. Students also evaluate, incorporate, and document sources from print, internet, and library databases to support their writing.

A student can earn 3 college credits for taking this class. According to Student Loan Hero the average cost of one college credit is $594. Meaning a family could save close to $1,800 taking this class.  

When asked what are the benefits of taking this class, Mrs. Ford said “It is offered by QCC, but it will can be accepted at any college. The course is free, the book is free, it is offered here at our school, and you become a part of the Massachusetts college system with an ID.  No matter where you go, this course will follow you.”

To the kids who are skeptical of taking this class, Ford says “Don’t be afraid! It is a composition class made up with four essays in it for your grade. You will be taught how to enhance your writing skills.  If you do the work, you will come out successful! You can also go to one of your English teachers at Prouty to help you through it.”

David Prouty has been part of a CVTE, Career Vocational Technical Education, for the last 50 years because of the Business Tech Department. David Prouty is in a  partnership with Massachusetts Community Colleges across the state. QCC is the closest, so that is why we partner with them.