The Prouty Times

• January 12Congrats Lady Panthers on your 48-46 win against Uxbridge!

• January 3Congratulations to Boys' Basketball on their 62-35 win vs. North Brookfield

Nor’easter Thursday Could Result In Possible Cancellation of School

Sage Maryyanek, Contributor

An intensified snow storm, also known as a Nor’easter is heading up the coast and is threatening many Massachusetts towns. Snow totals for the Western Worcester county area range from as much as 6” to a foot of snow.

This is our first major snow storm of the entire winter season, the previous two systems weren’t even close to as big and strong as this storm moving up the East Coast right now. This storm’s pressure is lower than that of a hurricane! In case some of you don’t get it, it’s stronger than some hurricanes and more powerful.

So most people ask me only two questions whenever a snow storm threatens our area. The first being, “how much snow are we getting”. And the second being the most common, “will school be cancelled”. I’m not going to drag this out, I truly believe we won’t have school. I’m almost 100% sure of it, unless the storm decides last minute to track outwards towards sea. But I highly doubt that. As for Friday, the temperatures will be some of the coldest we have felt this season. And I know what you are all thinking, “Colder? How can it get colder?”. Well that’s pretty simple, the storm system we’re getting Thursday will be followed by more artic air, and colder Arctic air. So bundle up when you go out to shovel Friday, that is if you didn’t shovel Thursday. In my opinion there shouldn’t be school Friday. The cold temps mixed with newly fallen snow, I don’t see that as ideal travel conditions. But if there is school I’m sure there will be a two hour delay.

As for snow totals,for the Worcester County area I expect a wide range of 6-12” of snow. If your going to be near Boston Thursday then I suggest you get out of that area while you still can. Especially if there is no point of you being there. Boston is expecting 10-15”+ and blizzard like conditions. Boston is the heart of the jackpot zone. As for everywhere other than the Boston and Worcester surrounding towns, such as the Cape and western Ma, you can see upwards of 6” and I doubt there will be more than that.

The storm is expected to start filling in the Worcester County area around 6 am. I wouldn’t be shocked however if the snow started around 3 am. But whichever time is more spot on it wouldn’t matter, travel will be slick.

But wait there’s more! Along with the heavy snow, the winds are going to be gusting. Winds are expected to blow upwards of 50+ mph. This type of wind along with the heavy snow will most likely cause many power outages and wind damage, especially from fallen trees.

Folks please be careful out there, this storm is expected to bring white out conditions and very bad travel. Be smart and stay indoors where it is the most safest place.

I do recommend following my twitter account. Where I post every update on every threatening storm system for the Worcester county region. @maryyanek if you would like to keep yourself updated.

With that being said please be safe. #WMS