The Prouty Times

• January 12Congrats Lady Panthers on your 48-46 win against Uxbridge!

• January 3Congratulations to Boys' Basketball on their 62-35 win vs. North Brookfield

Foster’s Fosters

Hanna Rybicki, Contributor

Every day so many dogs are abandoned by their owners. Either they can’t take care of them, or they just simply don’t want the dogs. This means that the dogs that are found are sent to either a shelter or are euthanized. Ms. Foley Foster is part of an organization that helps these dogs find happy and loving homes.

Ms. Foley Foster is a teacher here at David Prouty, however, she has another full-time job, taking care of stray dogs who need loving homes. Foster receives the dogs from Aruba. There the dogs are found left alone in cages and on the streets abandoned. The organization “New Life For Paws” finds these dogs and fly them to the US. Then, people like Ms. Foster take the dogs in and foster them. This means providing food, shelter and 24-hour care. Many of the dogs can be shy or scared once taken in. Ms. Foster dedicates her time to make the dogs comfortable and eventually open up.  Once the dogs are ready, Foster adopts out the dogs to stable and loving homes. She keeps in contact with the families and receives many updates about the dogs.

Foster says “It can be very difficult to take care of these puppies and then have to send them off to new homes. Some of the puppies I will have for 2+ weeks so you get bonded. I have to constantly remind myself that they are going to good homes and that this way I can help save two more puppies that would otherwise be stuck in terrible conditions.”  Another difficulty of fostering dogs is that she gets no reimbursement. “I don’t get paid for the food or supplies that the puppies need. One of the puppies escaped from the pen and end up chewing up my windowsill one day. That, along with accidents on rugs and chewing things up can be difficult. Those are things I expect to happen; other difficulties are you never know what you are going to get.  Five of the eight puppies we have adopted out came from the same litter and were found in an abandoned house and the area they were in was covered with urine and feces. A few of the puppies had died. This made the litter extremely shy so I had to really work on socialization with both other dogs and people. They were very nervous for a while but once they realized it was a safe place they began to open up a little more.”

Despite the difficulties, Foster says that her work is “extremely important.” She states “ I will do anything I can to help these dogs find better homes. As humans, we have to help those who can’t help themselves. That means animals and children. We need to come together and be compassionate for animals in this world. I’ve always adopted from shelters and believe that you need to “adopt not shop” because there are so many animals all over the world that need help.” She says that she would eventually like to open up a “ last stop for elderly dogs who have been in shelters all their lives.” She says “ it would be nice to give them love and care before they pass on.”

Here are photos of some of the dogs Foster has fostered: