The Prouty Times

• January 12Congrats Lady Panthers on your 48-46 win against Uxbridge!

• January 3Congratulations to Boys' Basketball on their 62-35 win vs. North Brookfield

Britnie Cournoyer

Back to Article
Back to Article

Britnie Cournoyer

Chenty Nunez, Editor

Name: Britnie Cournoyer

Graduation year 2017

Q:Did you go to college, military, service, job?

A: I now attend Becker College in Leicester. I’m going for my bachelors degree in veterinary medicine with a veterinary technician concentration.

Q:What was it like going from the High School life to the adult life?

A:At first it was a lot to take in, but the new experiences and the new freedoms you experience really help you grow as a person.

Q:In college/job/service, was it easy to get settled down and find where you fit in?

A:In college I have found that social structure isn’t nearly as important as it is in high school. College students talk to each other, there are not the very tight knit friend groups that you get in high school. Everyone is friendly and the social structure is very fluid. However I have also been pleased to find that I am very comfortable being alone on campus, it’s kind of empowering honestly.

Q:What has been the biggest thing to happen to you since you left?

A: I made the Becker College Women’s Soccer team and recently scored my first goal. So now I have a point in the NCAA, it’s pretty cool actually.

Q:Were there hiccups, or struggles along the way?

A:The college process was really difficult for me, and so much of it was confusing. Your college advisors/counselors are life savers. I email mine probably two to three times a week. I would say don’t be afraid to ask for help.

Q:What’s your favorite thing about being out of high school?

A:There are longer breaks between classes that allow you to utilize your time however you please. The freedom is nice.

Q:What do you miss about High School?

A: I definitely miss my old friend group, though I’ve made new friends. I guess I just miss the familiarity. Going from somewhere like Spencer/David Prouty where I grew up with and went to school with the same people all of my life, to college wasn’t the easiest transition.

Q:Did you play for Prouty? If so, what did you play and what was it like going from High school level to College level?

A:I played field hockey and tennis for Prouty. Soccer at one point too. I decided to go for soccer at Becker because soccer has always been my “first love” I guess you could say. It’s definitely one of the hardest things I have ever had to do. The dedication it takes to be a college athlete is unbelievable. It’s extremely rewarding though. I know sometimes athletics at DPHS can be frustrating, but it really opens up for you at the college level.

Q:Any advice for current students at DPHS?

A: I would say my biggest advice would be to get involved with AP courses! Every AP course that I have taken mirrors the corresponding course at Becker. I feel super prepared and they definitely have been beneficial to my education.

Q:Are there any teachers that you would like to say some kind words to?

A:Mrs. McCarthy, without your unending support I may have faltered several times during high school and not achieved what I have. I could not thank you enough. And Ms. Thibeault, I took almost every science class you offered in preparation for my intended major. You have helped me immensely and I find myself often recalling things you taught me to help me in my current classes. Thank you! And to all my teachers who helped guide me through high school, thank you.

Q:What was your best memory from Prouty?

A:My entire senior year is one big fond memory personally. From senior dinner dance where everyone came together like I’ve never seen before, to the boys basketball teams 1 point home win during playoffs, and everything in between. High school really is one of the best times of your life, cherish it!