Sarah DuQuette

Jon Hidenfelter

Name:Sarah DuQuette

Q:What Year did you graduate in?

A:I would have graduated from Prouty in 2016, but transferred to Mass Academy in 2014 after my sophomore year.

Q:Did you go to college, military, service, job?

A:Upon graduation, I matriculated to Worcester Polytechnic Institute where I am currently pursuing a bachelors and masters degree in Mechanical Engineering with a minor in English. Though I continued to college, I am a midshipman in the Naval ROTC program here and am training to become a Naval Officer once I graduate. 

Q:What was it like going from the High School life to the adult life?

A:In my opinion, moving on from high school life to an adult life was amazing. I highly enjoy the increased amount of freedom I get now; I can make my own weekly schedule however I want it to be, and am my own boss.

Q:In college/job/service, was it easy to get settled down and find where you fit in?

A:At first it was difficult for me to find my own niche, but that was mainly because I was afraid of making new friends with new people. At Prouty, I was surrounded by the same people for about 10 years. As soon as I realized that I was allowed to talk to people that I didn’t grow up with, I quickly made many friends.

Q:What has been the biggest thing to happen to you since you left?

A:The biggest thing to happen to me since leaving high school was probably joining the ROTC program. I’ve wanted to become a Naval Officer since I was in eighth grade, and I am actively achieving that goal every day I fulfill new responsibilities in ROTC.

Q:Have you traveled? If so, where?

A:This past summer I travelled a lot; I spent a few weeks on vacations in Alabama and Cancún with some friends of mine, and went to Norfolk, VA for a month training for ROTC. I will be leaving on October 17th to go to Melbourne, Australia for a study abroad program where I will be completing a research project with some classmates, and I will be in Australia for 8 weeks.

Q:Were there hiccups, or struggles along the way?

A:My biggest struggle has been improving my physical fitness. I never played any sports in high school, so transitioning from that fitness level to a military expectation has been tricky.

Q:What’s your favorite thing about being out of high school?

A:My favorite thing about being out of high school is the fact that I live on a college campus surrounded by friends. When I go home at the end of the day, I get to spend time (mostly doing homework) with my roommates.

Q:What do you miss about High School?

A:I do miss the simplicity of high school. Today, I can’t get through a week if I don’t have a detailed calendar because there’s always so much going on. High school was much simpler; I had classes on weekdays, homework and maybe some clubs after classes, and then went to bed. Now I have very few hours of class but many meetings, projects to work on, ROTC commitments, and other plans thrown in as well.

Q:Any advice for current students at DPHS?

A:To current DPHS students, I would urge you to get involved with as many activities at school as you can. Not only will it make you look good later on, but you’ll have a good time and start getting an idea as to how busy real life will be.

Q:Are there any teachers that you would like to say some kind words to?

A:I’d like to thank all teachers that taught me for the few years I was at Prouty; you all set me on the path I’m on now, and I genuinely believe that I wouldn’t be here if it wasn’t for you.

Q:What was your best memory from Prouty?

A:It’s difficult for me to choose a favorite memory from Prouty, but I can say I highly enjoyed the 10 minute break every day. I learned that I could do a lot in ten minutes. Usually I would make my way to the band room to say hi to friends there before continuing to my next class, but I’d sometimes visit teachers as well. Or just try to pick up my massive pile of books that I carried everywhere for some reason, that generally took a while.