Nicholas King

Chenty Nunez, Editor

Name: Nicholas King 

Graduation year:2013

Q:Did you go to college, military, service, job?

A:I attended Westfield State University for a year and a half as an English/Theater Arts double major, then Quinsigamond Community College as a Liberal Arts major for the same amount of time. Unfortunately I dropped out of both before graduating.

Q:What was it like going from the High School life to the adult life?

A:It was tough. A lot of blood, sweat, and tears followed after graduating. Financial difficulties were constant, whether it was buying textbooks, buying supplies, or even buying food for the dorm. After leaving college, I managed to find work quickly and I began to fill the void from all of the expenses of college life.

Q:In college/job/service, was it easy to get settled down and find where you fit in?

A:One of the great things about college is that there’s so many opportunities to take part of and more than plenty of clubs and organizations to be a part of. As a Theater major, I went to a festival in Cape Cod known as KCACTF (Kentucky Center American College Theater Festival) and it was packed with seminars and workshops for Theater related lessons, with other people from other colleges across Massachusetts, several different booths to check out other college programs, and, to top it all off, five plays written and put on by students from different schools in a massive playwriting contest. It was so much fun.

Q:If you are out of college or post graduate work, what are you doing now?

A:Currently I’m working at 308 Lakeside in East Brookfield as a dishwasher and a salad maker, working on becoming a part of the culinary arts society after being inspired by my fiancée Aimee, who graduated this year from Johnson & Wales with three degrees (Culinary Arts, Culinary Arts with a focus on Baking and Pastry, and Business Management with a focus on Food and Beverage).

Q:What has been the biggest thing to happen to you since you left?

A:In 2014 I met my fiancée who helped me out with a lot of life’s troubles, from helping me find a job after I left college to helping me buy my first car. I proposed to her in 2015 and announced it officially in February of this year. We’re shooting for a Halloween wedding in 2019.

Q:Have you traveled? If so, where?

A:I haven’t travelled outside the U.S., but I’ve done some traveling inside it. I’ve been to Tennessee, New York, Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky, and North Carolina.

Q:Were there hiccups, or struggles along the way?

A:Oh boy, were there! As someone who never had a real job until I was 20, money was always an issue. I never grasped the true meaning of a dollar until I saw the prices of college textbooks. The most expensive textbook I ever had was about $320 and I couldn’t find a used book for sale anywhere else. And social life was rough. My first (and only) roommate and I never got along and I lived alone. And as much as I tried to hang out with others (some kids I graduated with from Prouty attended Westfield with me), I wasn’t properly balancing school life and social life.

Q:What’s your favorite thing about being out of high school?

A:I think that the independence you gain after graduating is one of the most rewarding things you get when you leave.

Q:What do you miss about High School?

A: I definitely miss all of the extracurricular activities I did. And I did a lot. For awhile I ran cross country, played in the marching band, performed in the seasonal plays, and played in the concert band.

Q:Did you play for Prouty? If so, what did you play and what was it like going from High school level to College level?

A:If you count marching band, then yes. For two years I played clarinet, and the following three years I was the proud tuba player who went all out. For Christmas parades I would decorate my sousaphone in Christmas lights and garland and I would dress up as Santa. In my senior year we won a gold medal for our field show, which had a hard rock theme to it. After high school, the colleges I attended didn’t have a marching band. I miss it a lot.

Q:Any advice for current students at DPHS?

A:Keep your head held high, even if you’re knee-deep in troubled water. High school is meant to prepare you for the rest of your life, whether you decide to go to college, the military, or find work

Q:Are there any teachers that you would like to say some kind words to?

A:There are a lot of teachers I’ve had over the years. Some have come and gone, but I’ll still thank them for the best high school experience. I’d like to thank Ms. Mehringer, Mrs. McCarthy, Mr. James, Mrs. Howard, and especially Mrs. Rubino, Mrs. Bussiere, and Mr. Waage for the memorable high school memories.

Q:What was your best memory from Prouty?

A:It had to be all of the theatre productions and marching band field shows I took a part in, from my first play as the Wizard of Oz to my last show as Buffalo Bill Cody in Annie Get Your Gun.