The Prouty Times

• January 12Congrats Lady Panthers on your 48-46 win against Uxbridge!

• January 3Congratulations to Boys' Basketball on their 62-35 win vs. North Brookfield

A Farewell to Flynn

Amber Vartebedian, Contributor

Our beloved Mrs. Kathy Flynn will be retiring in January, 2018 after 35 years at David Prouty High School. Flynn has not only been a guidance counselor here at DPHS but also taught mathematics for almost 20 years. “I try not to think of my remaining time here to be filled with ” ‘lasts’, but rather new beginnings and a whole lot of ‘firsts’.””, said Flynn.

She arrived at Prouty only a year after graduating from college with a double major. “I worked for years as a private math tutor and Nautilus instructor at the Auburn Racquet Club, in addition to teaching at DPHS.”

Her arrival at Prouty was originally to take a job as a math teacher in 1983. “I remembered how overjoyed I was when I received the phone call that I had landed the job.  This was my first teaching assignment and I was very fortunate to have been hired during a time when teaching positions were very hard to come by,” said Flynn.

Flynn goes on to share one of her fondest memory, “It was my first year teaching Geometry back in the early 80s.  One of my students, seeming somewhat duplicitous in nature and a formidable linebacker for our Panther football team, became extremely frustrated and one day hit his fist against the back wall of my classroom while blurting out a comment that he definitely shouldn’t have.  It was apparent that there was much work to be done here— which we did, throughout the rest of that school year, together as a team.   And on that last day of class, he walked through my classroom door wearing a big smile, holding a dozen roses.  At that moment, I knew how much that young man had grown and how grateful I felt to have been a part of his transition.  But most importantly, he succeeded, had respect, was genuine and above all else, put in the work that allowed him to reach a better place – and it’s this combination that mattered so much… to both of us.”

When Flynn was asked about her plans for retirement, she explains how she’s excited for the flexibility, “Up to this point, I’ve spent my entire life planning and preparing… it’s nice to know that I don’t need a plan now.”

We will all truly miss such an important staff member, and we wish her the best of luck!