The Prouty Times

• January 12Congrats Lady Panthers on your 48-46 win against Uxbridge!

• January 3Congratulations to Boys' Basketball on their 62-35 win vs. North Brookfield

Best Plates

Samantha Gibson, Contributor

Best Plates

308 Lakeside, Black and White, and Chef Sau

Researcher: Samantha Gibson

Synopsis: Each restaurant has a casual attire, it’s the location and food that make each unique. 308 Lakeside is nicely decorated on the inside and outside. It also has a great location and view of Lake Lashaway. Black and White is a bar and grill. It is not located in the center of town, as the rest, but people are willing to drive there because of the delicious food and ice cream.  Chef Sau is a Chinese restaurant in the center of Spencer.

Chef Sau’s Review:

A senior at DPHS, Nicole Burritt, talks about how she loves Chef Sau’s Chinese food. Burritt says, “I have friend’s [who] work there and they are very friendly to me. Sometimes chinese food can be too salty, but Chef Sau makes their food cooked perfectly.” Burritt enjoys the restaurant so much that she orders from there at least two times a month, sometimes more.

“My favorite meal there is the Beef Lo Mein. Everytime I order from there I order that because I like noodles and vegetables and the special sauce,” Burritt shares. “I keep going back there because the food is amazing. My first time ordering from here was when I was in eighth grade and I am now a senior in high school. I still order from there just as much as I used to because I don’t have a reason not to.”

I love their chinese food, because their food is fresh and tasteful. No matter what anyone orders from their menu they will enjoy the flavors.  I have ordered a lot of chinese food such as crab rangoons, chicken tenders, beef and broccoli, and beef lo mein.

Lindsay D. from Lynn, Mass., says “Chef Sau has the nicest staff ever… The place wasn’t busy… The place is fast and friendly and my daughters and I really enjoyed everything we ate. It doesn’t look open because of construction, but it is–so go there! The beef and broccoli was inhaled by my 12 year old. The garlic spicy veggies and vegetable lo mein was a hit with me and my daughter. She declared the noodles “yummy” but the veggies “too spicy” which I thoroughly enjoyed and took the rest home. I wish it had a little more broccoli but that is the only critique. Very yummy and steaming hot. We were passing through town so it isn’t a place we will likely be back since it is like 80 miles from home but it was great.”

Robert F., from Brookfield, Mass., says, “I had a delightful dish that was not on the menu. Udon noodles with chicken and vegetables. The single dish was really meant for two. Prices are very reasonable. The server was very pleasant and the owner stopped by my table and greeted me warmly. Definitely a place to stop in or order take out.”

Black and White Grille’s Review:

Belinda Gibson- Kiesiner, a sixth grade teacher at Brookfield Elementary School, stated that she enjoys Black and White Grille in Spencer. Kiesiner tells us, “I enjoy eating here because the waitresses are friendly. My husband and I often go out to get a drink at the bar and watch a game at the Black and White.”  Kiesiner says she goes out often to the Black and White, at least 5 times in a couple months. “I go to this restaurant mainly with my husband but sometimes I take the kids out for a treat and we come here as a family.”

“I love the Caesar Salad with not a lot dressing but not too little. The dressing is not strong at all. Their Caesar Salad is my favorite,” Kiesiner says. Kiesiner states, “I enjoy going back there because I go there so often that I gained good relationships with the workers.”

I have been to the Black and White restaurant in Spencer many times. When I eat here I usually start with the bone-in buffalo wings. For my entree I always order the buffalo chicken wrap on a white wrap with a side of onion ring. The buffalo is spicy and there’s a lot of it and don’t forget to try their ice cream for dessert! It’s excellent.

Ronald Laprade from Worcester, Massachusetts states It doesn’t look like much … the locals don’t dress up …. But the food is usually first class … and the price is good … worth traveling a bit for. Friday Saturday Sunday prime rib is about the best in the area … kids meals actually taste good. Great ice cream …. Bottom line. Price is like a chain restaurant but much better food. Seafood is also great here

Robert W., from Sturbridge, Massachusetts says The Black and White is a favorite stop for me and my family. They offer and extensive menu with tasty meat, seafood and Greek Fusion options. Hearty sized libations with terrific apps along with several “Daily Specials”. Best onion rings around… Large desert selection. You won’t be disappointed choosing The Black And White for your next night out. It gets busy after 4:30PM with reservation taken for parties of 6 or more. During the warmer months they offer an outside take out and an ice cream bar.

308 Lakeside Bar and Grille’s Review:

Maraysa Volesky, a senior at DPHS, declares how she loves 308 Lakeside Bar and Grille in East Brookfield.  Volesky says, “I like eating here because they have great service and the meal I ordered was excellent.” Volesky says she goes to this restaurant at least three times a month. She likes to enjoy a nice dinner out with her family and when she goes to 308 Lakeside she can.

Volesky says, “I enjoy cheesy and thick pasta dishes. Lakeside makes a great meal that meets my needs.” When I asked Volesky about the meal she said she orders the fettuccini alfredo because the alfredo sauce tastes fresh. “I will keep going back there because the food is good and I get treated with respect every time I eat there.”

In my opinion, the Steak Gorgonzola Alfredo is the best dish on their menu. The steak tips were cooked perfectly and left juicy with a, balsamic glaze drizzled over the top.

Alicia L. form Auburn, Mass., said she “stopped in for a late dinner. Orders the steak tips which were cooked perfectly and tasted delicious. They also had a great selection of wine. My boyfriend ordered a burger which was amazing as well.  This was our second time here, we will be back for more.”

Christine N. from Orange, Mass., “First time here! Steak tips were excellent, calamari appetizer was very good also. Very comfortable place, great service and reasonably priced. Want to come back in warmer weather to sit outside!”