The Prouty Times

• January 12Congrats Lady Panthers on your 48-46 win against Uxbridge!

• January 3Congratulations to Boys' Basketball on their 62-35 win vs. North Brookfield

Dress code: Does it REALLY matter?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Dress code: Does it REALLY matter?

Malorie Kenneway, Contributor

Students at David Prouty have been challenging the school dress code a lot recently, justifying it as being not correlated to student performance and accusing it as being sexist. Dress code is an extremely controversial topic in schools across the country.

The number one rule on David Prouty’s Dress Code is: “No clothing that causes disruption to the educational process shall be worn.”  But what does that mean? This is an extremely vague description and is based on pure opinion.

“I’ve never once seen a boy get dress-coded,” said junior Zara Fulcher, adding the point that boys are allowed to wear cutoffs in gym while girls are not. Boys are allowed to wear this article of clothing despite rule three  in the Dress Code Policy, “All shirts/tops must extend below the waist (exposed midriffs, open back shirts/tops and plunging necklines are not allowed). Shirts/tops must have a minimum of 2” of fabric covering the shoulder.”

An anonymous junior girl added that often, “dress codes are unequal and body shame girls. They send the message that if what they choose to wear distracts boys, that it’s our fault.”

“Dress codes don’t effect me. I feel like they are directed more toward girls,” said senior Tristan Colonese.

Some say that these rules are put in place to keep students focused and on task in class, but a teacher stated that they haven’t really noticed a student of theirs becoming overly distracted based on what another was wearing. Even studies show that uniforms or dress codes do not approve academic achievement, according to David L. Brunsma from the University of Missouri-Columbia, who  has been studying the movement for public school uniforms and dress codes since 1996. Brunsma has concluded that “despite the anecdotal meanderings of politicians, community members, educators, board members, parents, and students, uniforms have not been effective at attacking the very outcomes and issues they were assumed to aid.” This basically translates into uniforms, in fact, don’t matter. They don’t improve student behavior. They don’t prevent bullying. And they don’t curb behavioral problems in school.

The arguments that students are bringing up are valid and have concrete evidence to back them up. It is understandable that some sort of dress code must be in place in order to effectively run a school system. It should be taken into consideration that dress codes unfairly target girls and place the blame on them.