The Prouty Times

• January 12Congrats Lady Panthers on your 48-46 win against Uxbridge!

• January 3Congratulations to Boys' Basketball on their 62-35 win vs. North Brookfield

Your Brain on Sports

Jason Fyrberg, Contributor

Every kid has their own problems with school and their own way to solve each of those problems. For many of these kids sports was their gateway to happiness, it gave them a place to create a family, to build a feeling of success and to show them their untapped potential.

Studies show that with sports, students improved their mental health and grades. An article from ScienceDirect.com discusses, “the relationship between participation in physical activity and self reported happiness in the United States… [US Microdata] estimates based on BRFSS (Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System) data that individuals with greater access to sports facilities report higher life satisfaction.”

As stated, those involved in some sort of physical activity are happier in life, can we branch this out to high school and figure out if students participating in extracurricular activities are happier in life?

A study by Biological Studies showed that more students with clinical depression, happen to have not participated in many or any extracurricular activities in high school.  

An article from the Chicago Tribune which focused on student activities explained, “When depressed, exercise seems to be the last thing someone wants to do, but with a little motivation, it can yield many benefits not only physically but mentally. When engaging in physical activity and exercise, your body releases endorphins (endogenous cannabinoids) and other natural brain chemicals, which enhance your sense of well-being. -Exercise also allows for goals, which allows for the feeling of success, this also releases those “feel-good” chemicals into the brain, it’s addicting, if you don’t do anything, you won’t have the opportunity for that amazing feeling of success.”

It appears as if being active in extracurriculars can help promote success in high school. Students who played sports, were participants in clubs/after-school activities had higher GPAs than those who did not.

Kylie Soter is a junior at DPHS  and an active member of the soccer team, as well as the basketball team. Kylie is well liked and known for her happy go-lucky personality; however, she was not always like that. Kylie was not always social, but when asked how sports affected her socially she stated, “If I wasn’t involved in sports I feel like I wouldn’t have as many friends as I do. I definitely feel that sports have positively affected me…. [sports helped] improve my grades, and effectively communicate with others.”

Over half of our school’s population (302) participate in sports. Many as a gateway to enjoy their high school career. When interviewing Ryan Anderson, Captain of the David Prouty football team and member of the cheerleading squad, he spoke of a mischievous upbringing. Anderson said he would’ve went down the wrong path if it had not been for sports at David Prouty.

When interviewing Jayme Dowd, a senior at David Prouty, and beloved member of the soccer team, and the track/field team, she mentioned, “Well I get home later, so it makes me wanna do my homework so I don’t procrastinate.”

High School athletics do more than get you running. Here at Prouty they get a sense of family, a chance to reach their potential, and a chance to let all of their daily frustrations go.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0167487012000402#!

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/la-grange/news/ct-dlg-student-activities-tl-0324-201603 17-story.html