The Prouty Times

• January 12Congrats Lady Panthers on your 48-46 win against Uxbridge!

• January 3Congratulations to Boys' Basketball on their 62-35 win vs. North Brookfield

No Homework!

Amber Vartebedian, Contributor

There has been a debate since education became a focus in government whether homework is beneficial or injurious. These are some reasons with supporting evidence to explain all the reasons why homework is injurious especially for students in elementary school or younger.

The homework standard that teachers have gone by for decades has been a “10-minute rule.” This rule recommends a daily maximum of 10 minutes of homework per grade level. Fourth graders for example, should do about 40 minutes of homework each night. High school seniors should be assigned about two hours of homework each night. Both The National PTA and the National Education Association support this guideline. Richard Walker, an educational psychologist at Sydney University explains, “There is little benefit for most students until senior high school (grades 10-12).”

Kids already have school 7 hours a day, 5 days a week. That’s 35 hours a week of learning which is almost equivalent to an adults work week! Many adults come home from work exhausted from the day and just want to relax. This should be expected from children too.

Having children cooped up in school during the day, then having to do homework when they get home, can have a negative impact on their health. Getting sun and exercise is crucial for both physical and mental health.

“The data shows that homework over this level is not only not beneficial to children’s grades or GPA, but there’s really a plethora of evidence that it’s detrimental to their attitude about school, their grades, their self-confidence, their social skills, and their quality of life,” a contributing editor of the study, Stephanie Donaldson-Pressman told CNN in an interview in 2016.

Having a social life and family connection is very important. After school is the time for pursuing personal pastimes and not having to worry about all the homework that has to be competed for the next day.

For older students, homework might also compete with their part-time job, making it difficult for them to balance a life between school and work. “These after-school activities have much more diffuse goals than single subject test scores,” explains Walker.

Kenneth Feyjoo a senior at DPHS, has held three part time jobs this year. “I would rather make money and help out my mom then spend time figuring out Chief Bromden. I don’t even get home until 12am because we close at 11pm.”

Jason Fyrberg, a member of the cheerleading team, football team, and track team also manages to find time to have a job. “If I get a break at work, I will try to do my homework but most of the time I do it when I get home. I’m pretty tired, but I have all the tools I need to get it done.”

“Honestly, I don’t get home until like 9 or 10 and when I get home I have no motivation to do homework,” Ethan Ramaska admitted.

Although this debate will continue to go on about whether homework is beneficial or injurious and small children will still be assigned an outrageous amount of homework.

These are just some things to think about before an educator assigns a third grader thirty minutes of unnecessary homework while they could be outside playing and enjoying their young lives.

https://www.livescience.com/19379-homework-bad-kids.html

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/children-more-homework-means-more-stress-031114#2

1 Comment

One Response to “No Homework!”

1. Rachel on April 4th, 2018 2:45 pm

It really is a bunch of bull crap that sometimes little kids are assigned homework that takes them like almost an hour to finish . I see homework to be beneficial sometimes and other times it’s pointless. Good Article Amber.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Panther News

CLASS DAY SCHEDULE

• No Homework!

Athletics

DPHS Game Schedules

• No Homework!

Panther News

Tennis Kicks off Their Home Season!

• Panther News

MIAA Girls and Women in Sports Day

• No Homework!

Panther News

MHSFCA Hall Of Fame

• Panther News

EverFi Certification Presentation

• No Homework!

Panther News

Earth Science Trip – Quabbin Reservoir

• No Homework!

Panther News

National Honor Society Induction Ceremony

• No Homework!

Panther News

UMass Amherst Isenberg Trip

• No Homework!

Gun Control

Eliminating School Shootings

The Student News Site of David Prouty High School
No Homework!