School Responded Quickly After Students Cite Safety Issues in Rear Parking Lot

The student parking lot the morning after a small snowstorm in February.

Marissa Beaudin and Megan Cyr

Throughout the years , students have noticed issues with snow removal in the back student parking lot. They found that that little snow was removed and no salt was applied to the ground right after a snowstorm, leaving them concerned for students’ safety.

“I am scared I am going to slide into a classmate or classmate’s car,” one senior female student, who asked to remain anonymous, said in early February. “I don’t feel safe when driving at school after a snowstorm.”

Said another senior, who also asked that his name not be used, “I feel like I am going to slip and slide into the metal gate when entering the back parking lot.”

But when The Prouty Times brought up the issue with Mrs. York just hours before a small snowstorm left a few inches on the parking lot in early February,  she acted quickly, contacting the custodial staff to be sure it treated the lot after the storm. There were no complaints about safety the next day.

After a storm dumped 10 inches of snow on Spencer and canceled school on Monday, March 4, conditions in the parking lot were good, allowing students to park and walk without problems.

In February, many students said they have come close to having accidents in the parking lot due to weather conditions. However, they’re not alone when it came to the conditions of the back lot, especially when there are sporting events. One parent, a teacher at an elementary school in a neighboring town, said, “A school parking lot should never look like this.”

Also, when some student drivers park in the back lot, they say they can’t see the painted parking spot lines and have to guess where they are. The nearby sidewalks were also found to have been covered with snow – and untreated.

“I feel like I am going to slip and slide into the metal gate when entering the back parking lot,” one senior said.

But now, with Spring having arrived, the parking lot will likely no longer be an issue.