Schoolwork on Snow Days? Students and Teachers Weigh in

Back to Article
Back to Article

Geovany Martinez, Dominic Sicard, and Vinny Clarizio

How would you feel about doing classwork at home during a snow day instead of having to make up the lost school day in June? With technology such as Google Classroom available, students could just do assigned work on their Chromebooks on snow days.

But one student says no because students would rather have the day off. Another student says yes because students would prefer longer summers.

“Everyone will be home either way during a snow day so might as well do the work at home and not have to make it up later in the year,” the student said.

Ms. Howard is also a fan of the idea, but added: “If students are willing to take the work seriously and get it done during their days off of school due to the snow, then I agree” it can work.

“ I’d much rather give the work out during the snow day instead of having to make up for that day,”  Mr. Hamilton said. He loves the idea.

Other teachers agree with him.

“After the first five snow days, we should start working at home,” Mr. Whittemore said.

Ms. Morey added:  “Fantastic idea. Everyone will be home either way during a snow day so might as well do the work at home and not have to make it up later in the year.”

Added  Ms. Begley:  “ I have mixed emotions when it comes to this topic, I like the idea of being able to get out of school faster but I also don’t like how things change so often so it makes it hard for kids to be kids.”